Jumat, 06 Juli 2018

UN COMMISSION OF INQUIRY URGED TO INVESTIGATE ISRAELI ATROCITIES by Fardah

Jakarta, July 6, 2018 (Antara) - Health officials in Gaza said Israeli forces have killed at least 135 Palestinians and wounded over 15 thousand, including over 180 journalists, since the Great March of Return began March 30.
         The Great March of Return rallies culminated on May 15 to mark what Palestinians refer to as the Nakba, or Catastrophe -- a reference to the forced removal of 750 thousand Palestinians from their homes and villages to clear the way for colonial Israel's establishment in 1948.
         Until now, Israel's atrocities and genocidal tendencies have continued to satisfy its lust for more Palestinian land.
         Under the protection of its main ally, the United States, Israel has been committing blatant violations of international laws leading to the ethnic cleansing and genocide of the Palestinian people, while the United Nations and the international community stand by helplessly.   
    The latest violence has seen Israeli forces viciously attacking and beating up residents, including women, in the Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar in the West Bank, which has been targeted for years.
         Israel has tried to demolish the Palestinian village for the expansion of its illegal settlements, but the villagers in Khan al-Ahmar have been determined to fight the demolition. Unarmed Bedouin women and men have held protests, preventing the demolition from being carried out by heavily armed Israeli forces.
         Israel has arrogantly breached many international laws and ignored UN resolutions against the colonist's atrocities in Palestinian land.
         The occupying power continues to target civilians, impose sieges, carry out land theft, attack religious places, and destroy infrastructure.
         It has also continued to practice apartheid and adopt racist laws, which has resulted in over 6,000 Palestinians, including members of parliament, being detained by Israel.
         All Israeli violations were documented in the report of the High Commissioner, as well as the report of the Secretary General.
         The Geneva-based UN Human Rights Council on July 2 held a general debate on the human rights situation in Palestine and other occupied Arab territories.
         Most members of the Council, including Indonesia, condemned the Israeli atrocities and demanded that Israel stop its human rights violations against Palestinians.
         They also urged the Commission of Inquiry to investigate the latest atrocities.
         In the ensuing debate, speakers condemned the disproportionate use of force by Israeli forces against Palestinian protesters. 
    Delegations urged the Human Rights Council to keep agenda item 7, which focuses on the ongoing Israeli atrocities against Palestinians, as a standing item, saying that ignoring the discussion would only serve to embolden Israel.
         Speaking in the debate, Hasan Kleib, Indonesia's permanent representative to the United Nations in Geneva, expressed serious concern over the continued violation of the human rights of Palestinians. 
    Violations became particularly evident earlier this year when peaceful Palestinian protesters were killed, Kleib said.
         He also said persistent Israeli attacks violated United Nations resolutions, making agenda item 7 a constant reminder of the needs of Palestine.
         Lauding the creation of the Commission of Inquiry to probe human rights violations, Indonesia has urged the UN to speed up the appointment of a team of international war crime investigators to probe reports of human rights violations by Israeli forces.
         "Israel's policies on illegal settlements, building a separation wall, and limiting the rights of Palestinians cannot be tolerated," Hasan said. "They are obstacles to the realization of an independent Palestinian state with East Jerusalem as its capital."
    Israel's policies are blatant violations of international human rights law and a series of UN resolutions, he added.
         "Indonesia will continue to condemn Israel's policies and actions, not only because they are wrong and illegal, but also because they are dangerous," Hasan stated.
         Meanwhile, the United States recently withdrew from the United Nations Human Rights Council over what it called chronic bias against Israel and a lack of reform, a move activists warned would make it even more difficult to advance human rights globally.
         US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley claimed that the "disproportionate focus and unending hostility toward Israel is clear proof that the council is motivated by political bias and not by human rights." Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed the US decision.
         The Human Rights Council, which was founded in 2006 to oversee and investigate rights abuses, has never seen a serving member drop out voluntarily. The US boycotted the council for three years under George W. Bush, but joined again in 2009 under the Obama administration. ***2***
(F001/INE/B003)
EDITED BY INE
(T.SYS/A/BESSR/Bustanuddin) 06-07-2018

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar